The Nutritious Midnight Snack
Is anyone else married to someone who is digging through the pantry (before even finishing dinner) desperately searching for something sweet to top the night off with. Unfortunately, his go-to is the “serving” size ice cream containers. No, not the cute actual serving size that Ben and Jerrys offer. I’m talking the entire pint that’s supposed to be 4 servings, but he will consume it in one sitting.
It’s an every night thing here in our house – my husband has to end the night with something sweet.
One day he was on a call with a friend and was signaling to me to please make him a treat because this call had interrupted his dairy, sugar-coma-inducing habit.
So I went to work! I was on a mission to find something that worked for him and his macro/nutrition goals.
Introducing the famous…
Casein Protein Bowl.
Okay, it doesn’t sound as good as it is, but TRUST me. This discovery was a game changer. All the sweet deliciousness + all the great macros!
Here’s the deal. Casein is a slow digesting protein. Meaning it slowly releases amino acids to your muscles throughout the night – reducing muscle breakdown, improving recovery, increases fat loss, the benefits go on and on. Plus (and this is a major plus) it is very macro-friendly (averaging ~5g carbs, 25g protein, 1g fat).
Try it, love it, and thank me later.
Lacy’s Casein Bowl Masterpiece
- 1 scoop of flavored Casein (I like Ascent Chocolate – this brand uses clean ingredients and tastes great)
- Mix in about ½ cup of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk – add more or less to get the mousse/pudding texture you desire
- Top it off with 2 tbsp of SoDelicious Coconut Cool Whip
- Toss in your favorite berries and a handful of nuts or tbsp of natural nut butter
- Sprinkle on some cinnamon and enjoy!